Get the VNA Advantage
- We take added measures to continually enhance your patient experience
- We aim to exceed data from national surveys and benchmarks
- Our achievements are your assurance of excellent care
Maintaining a Positive Patient Experience During the COVID-19 Pandemic
|Released: 1/7/2022 6:00:00 AM|
The COVID-19 pandemic has put tremendous stress on patients and their families. Many are feeling overwhelmed as they worry about their own health or the health of their loved one.
As healthcare workers, there are measures we can take to ease anxiety and provide comfort.
- Be aware that PPE can be scary to patients. Verbalize welcome and reassurance.
- Articulate slowly and clearly, as PPE muffles voices.
- Communicate why you’re following COVID-19 safety measures.
- Demonstrate compassion for patients’ circumstances and awareness of unspoken anxiety.
- Express empathy in response to worries and fears expressed by the patient.
- Use body language, hand gestures and eye contact to enhance communication while masked. E.g., elevate your eyebrows as a sign of welcome, tilt your head and nod as a sign of attentiveness.
- Most importantly, smile – they’ll see it in your eyes!